consolekit and user groups

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Jan 21 07:07:50 PST 2009

I've been looking at consolekit but I'm having a hard time getting
traction.  The docs assume you already have a pretty deep knowledge of
hal and dbus, and there are no examples I've found for newbies.

Im working on a multi-seat setup and I'm trying to figure out how to
assign hardware resources to a user.  Here's what I am trying to do:

I have a group of hardware resources that are assigned to a seat.
Currently I am working on the premise that all of the resources are
attached to a USB hub.  Anything plugged in to the hub gets assigned to
the seat - cameras, dvd players, etc.  That hardware is then made
available to the user logged in on that seat.

My concept has been to assign all those resources to a group: seatX.
When user userX logs in, he is made a member of group seatX, and has
access to those resources.

 From reading the docs, this is what consoleKit is all about.  But as I
said, I can't get traction at all.  Is there a consolekit for idiots
guide? Some simple examples showing how users/ groups, and hardware is
handled?  Or even where in the chain of login events/hotplug
events/whatever events these things are done?

Thanks,

--Yan