Seagate faulty drives

Diego Calleja diegocg at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 11:42:16 PST 2009

El Wed, 21 Jan 2009 14:51:51 +0100, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> escribió:

> IMO we shouldn't add this via these keys. There is no hardware "recall" for
> those devices. There are only firmware updates.

I understand what you say, but AFAIK there's no other keys in HAL to notify a
user that their hardware is broken, so I used the "recall" keys as a sensible
way to do it. I don't think that a critical firmware upgrade is an abuse of the
recall keys - at least, while other (theoretical) functionality is implemented.

> And since Seagate has some trouble with the firmware update (they canceled
> some updates for some specific devices AFAIK), we shouldn't put something
> like that to hal-info to prevent getting in trouble with users or Seagate.

Sure, I'm not saying this file should be merged before the situation settles
down a bit (it seems that seagate has released today a new firmware that
fixes many of the broken drives, but they still have many issues to fix
in other drives)