ambient light sensor for dell latitude

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sat Mar 14 09:44:09 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 05:38:21PM +0100, Nicolò Chieffo wrote:
> I thought that HAL had a way to "present" the ALS to applications
> which wants to use it.

Yes, but only if the information is useful. For instance, on Apple
hardware the ALS gives us the current brightness and doesn't
automatically change the brightness itself. It therefore makes sense to
put this in hal, since applications can make use of the brightness data
and use it to change their behaviour. If all you can do is tell whether
the ALS is enabled, that's not especially useful.

> Plus I was trying to point out that HAL should fail to get/set
> brightness if the ALS is enabled, since it does not work.

Yeah, I'll think of a way of dealing with that.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org