ambient light sensor for dell latitude

Nicolò Chieffo 84yelo3 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 09:52:09 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 5:44 PM, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> Yes, but only if the information is useful. For instance, on Apple
> hardware the ALS gives us the current brightness and doesn't
> automatically change the brightness itself. It therefore makes sense to
> put this in hal, since applications can make use of the brightness data
> and use it to change their behaviour. If all you can do is tell whether
> the ALS is enabled, that's not especially useful.

Though I don't have a really concrete case of use, I thought of this:
totem could disable the ALS when playing movies, because lots of times
you are in a dark room, but you need a higher brightness.

I've got another question about the ALS, maybe you don't know the
answer, because I don't think it is tided to HAL, but I will try: when
I hit the un&down keys to change brightness I see that
gnome-power-manager pops un an on-screen notification. This does not
happen when I hit left& right (for ALS and keyboard backlit). Do you
know what is needed to show notifications also for them?

Thanks