ambient light sensor for dell latitude

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 16 01:18:25 PDT 2009

Nicolò Chieffo [2009-03-14 16:57 +0100]:
> About the deprecation of smbios usage in HAL: I'm running ubuntu
> jaunty, and the smbios binaries are still there.

The library is still used, since hal still needs it for e. g.
reading/controlling the Dell wireless killswitch.

> Will they be deprecated in a future version of HAL, or is it an
> ubuntu patch which still uses those files?

Mario did a patch to switch from using the command line binaries
(Python) to a native implementation which directly uses the shared
library, to avoid the huge Python startup costs. That was sent to the
list some weeks ago, but I didn't commit it yet because hal is still
officially in 0.5.12 release freeze.

Martin