Run inputattach from HAL

Dan Streetman ddstreet at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 20 08:23:38 PDT 2009

I have several system units with integrated touchscreens,
connected to the system via internal hardwired RS232 (serial)
connections.  What I want to do is use HAL to run the "inputattach"
program to connect the kernel touchscreen driver to the touch hardware
whenever HAL matches on the appropriate system unit model type.

First, is this appropriate for HAL?  The "inputattach" program will
continue running, and it has to keep running as long as the kernel
driver is connected to the touch hardware.  If HAL is the right place
to start this, should I use a "callout" or an "addon"?
Second, I need to create a new program or script in the /usr/lib/hal/
directory to do this, right?

Thanks!