Announcing block devices to hal

Stefan Majewsky majewsky at gmx.net
Sat Mar 21 16:06:48 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I'm developing a management application for NDAS devices, some type of network
storage device that is only supported through a proprietary driver and an
inconvenient command-line application. My application (see [1]) supports to
connect to these devices, which will cause them to appear in udev like this:

$ dir /dev/ndas-*
brw-r----- 1 root disk 60, 0 21. Mär 23:42 /dev/ndas-13203120-0
brw-r----- 1 root disk 60, 1 21. Mär 23:42 /dev/ndas-13203120-0p1

These devices are similar for instance to /dev/sda and /dev/sda1, I can
manipulate the partition table with fdisk on the first device, and mount the
second device. Yet, I have to mount the block device manually, as HAL does not
know about them. Both devices are also in the sysfs at the obvious place:

$ dir /sys/class/block/ndas-*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 21. Mär 23:50 /sys/class/block/ndas-13203120-0 ->
../../devices/virtual/block/ndas-13203120-0/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 21. Mär 23:50 /sys/class/block/ndas-13203120-0p1 ->
../../devices/virtual/block/ndas-13203120-0/ndas-13203120-0p1/

But HAL cannot see the devices, they do not appear in the output of lshal. Can
I make them appear as block devices through some udev rule, or do I need to
provide some special configuration to HAL? Help is appreciated very much.

Greetings
Stefan Majewsky

P.S. I'm not on this list regularly, please keep me CC'd in answers. Thanks!

[1] http://code.google.com/p/kandas/