[HarfBuzz] Re: [ft-devel] Relicensing HarfBuzz code from FreeType

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Sun Feb 4 10:03:21 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 18:52 +0100, David Turner wrote:
> Hi Behdad,
>
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 11:03:56 -0500, "Behdad Esfahbod" <behdad at behdad.org> said:
> > Hi FreeType developers,
> >
> > We have a bit of a problem with the old OpenType Layout code ripped out
> > of FreeType and called HarfBuzz these days.  The problem is that Pango
> > is LGPL'ed, while HarfBuzz is GPL+FTL.
>
> I don't understand. FreeType is GPL+FTL as well, and Pango as no problem using it.
> Why would it be different with Harfbuzz ?

The problem is in Pango actually.  "Pango has no problem using it" as in
no one ever complained about, except recently in Fedora lists.  The
complaint is that Pango is not LGPLed, because it uses code that is GPL
+FTL.

Nothing serious.  I thought I ask for a relicensing, but if that's not
possible, I'll just make it clear in Pango's license that it's not LGPL.

> Regards,
>
> - David

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759