[HarfBuzz] Merging the Qt shapers into Harfbuzz

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at trolltech.com
Wed Mar 28 04:29:50 PDT 2007

Hi,

so we (Lars and me) just finally got around pushing out our changes to

	git://people.freedesktop.org/~hausmann/harfbuzz

A short summary of what we did:

* We created a C API (harfbuzz-shaper.h).

* We ported the Qt code to figure out character/linebreaking attributes to it.

* We ported the Qt shapers to it.

* Most of them compile as C, but there's still the glue code and the indic
shaper left that are C++ for now.

* We removed the Freetype dependency from Harfbuzz.

* We ported the shaper tests that we have to use the C-API. You need Qt 4.3
however to compile those tests.

The biggest thing that's missing right now is documentation on how to use this
API and what the application intending to use it needs to provide. For
example a basic interface to unicode properties needs to be implemented by
the application. The tests provide a sample implementation of that though
that might give hints :). I plan to write some documentation for it of
course.

Are you okay if we merge this into the main Harfbuzz repository and continue
working from there?

Simon