[HarfBuzz] Merging the Qt shapers into Harfbuzz

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at trolltech.com
Thu Mar 29 11:09:41 PDT 2007

On Thursday 29 March 2007 11:12:29 sachin Tawniya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the code and was digging in the API's
> about their functionality. I want to contribute to
> this and want to implement/add code in the harfbuzz.
>
> Because I am QT developer and use to
> contribut/Solve Qt based rendering issues, I am so
> much interested to implement any thing over it.

Cool :)

> I am interested to volunteer for this, and want
> to know how I can proceed.
>
> Can you please in this regards, if you have any design
> Docs and any API implementation to be done.

Docs are definitely on my TODO, but since we're currently in the release phase
for Qt 4.3 my time is fairly limited. But once 4.3 is out (which shouldn't
take too long :) I plan to finish the Mac and Windows ports of Qt to use the
new Harfbuzz API (Harfbuzz actually works nicely on Windows already, but I've
had some strange problems in our glue code with bitmap fonts... don't ask :)
and then integrate that into our Qt mainline. Once it is there it will be
part of the daily GPL snapshots of Qt, which will then make it much easier to
test changes to Harfbuzz with Qt.

In the meantime it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how the API basically
works if you look at tests/shaping/main.cpp. It would be nice to take that
code as basis for a little separate standalone manual test application for
Harbuzz that allows rendering a piece of text using Freetype after it's been
shaped with Harfbuzz. That shouldn't be too hard and may be a nice start
project :)

Simon