[HarfBuzz] Using HarfBuzz to get final glyphs

Steve Mills smills at multi-ad.com
Tue Mar 18 14:48:17 PDT 2008

We're looking at options for updating a 3rd party library (AGL from
Alphamask, now dead, so we maintain it ourselves) we use for cross-
platform rendering of vector objects, bitmaps, and text. Right now it
does not allow for any of the nice OpenType features such as
ligatures, contextual glyph substitution, etc. This is because it only
knows how to do 1:1 character->glyph lookups, then caches those
glyphs. So what I need to do is possibly rip out this caching scheme
it uses and find something that will give me a final list of glyphs
with all possible glyph substitutions in place (depending on which
options the user wants to use, of course). We can then either use our
existing method of rendering the glyphs (get the path with ATS), or
possibly let some other system such as HarfBuzz create and cache each
glyph's bitmap that we'll then blit to our drawing surface.

So, can HarfBuzz do this? We already use FreeType in our server
products, but we need to handle the OpenType features on all platforms
(Mac, Unix's, Solaris, Windoze, etc). It's very disappointing that
they didn't extend FreeType to do this sort of thing. I've spent
nearly an hour looking around the HarfBuzz site and being thoroughly
confused by trying to learn how to use yet another wiki and yet
another source repository, seeing lots of links that go nowhere
helpful, and generally not finding a lot of documentation on how to
use HarfBuzz, so I'm a bit burned out right now.

Steve Mills                              Me: 952-401-6255
Senior Software Architect                         MultiAd
smills at multiad.com                       www.multi-ad.com