[HarfBuzz] New Indic standard?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 21:32:36 PDT 2009

On 2009-Aug-19 22:40, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> There's not much coding involved.  It would be most efficient if the local
> people focus on gathering the Indic data, and those of us who know the code,
> can focus on the coding part.

Can you state precisely what "Indic data" is required? I presume basic
support for the correct positioning of vowel matra-s already exists --
there are reordrant matra-s and there are enclosing ones. I don't know
whether support for consonant ligatures is to be provided by the
renderer or is it totally taken care of by the font maker in OpenType
programming? Off hand, the following is the list of aspects to be
catered to while rendering Indic scripts with examples:

1. vowel matra-s:
	a. following - AA, II in Deva
	b. preceding - I in Deva
	c. enclosing - O, OO, AU in Tamil and Malayalam
	d. ligating - I and II in Tamil and Malayalam, many in Kannada and
Telugu, RA + U/UU in Deva

2. ligatures

3. conjoining forms of types C1 and C2 (see
http://unicode.org/review/pr-37.pdf as said before)

4. ligatures of consonants with virama (eyelash RA of Marathi, khanda ta
of Bengali, NA of Telugu)

5. etc

An exhaustive list must be created.

Is there a wiki where we can contribute and collect detailed information
on how the Indic scripts are to be laid out? (past participle of
"layout" is "layouted"??) Can the IndLinux wiki be used for this purpose?

Shriramana Sharma.