[HarfBuzz] New Indic standard?

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 22:55:01 PDT 2009

On 2009-Aug-20 21:42, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> Something as simple as:
>
> INPUT: U+1234,U+5678 # some comment
> FONT: Some Font Name 24
> OUTPUT: <1,0,0>,<5,10,30>
>
> Where the output tuples are glyph id, X and Y.

Sorry, but I am just an end user of the script and do not have enough
technical knowledge to identify glyph ID, X and Y. I hope that does not
mean I cannot help you. All I can give you is in layman's terms what
happens when two characters are in a sequence, such as:

Input (Unicode): Tamil Letter KA + Tamil Vowel Sign E
Output (Glyphs): Vowel Sign E + Letter KA

Input (Unicode): Tamil Letter KA + Tamil Vowel Sign AU
Output (Glyphs): First part of Vowel Sign AU + Letter KA + Second part
of Vowel Sign AU

(Probably you already have this, but I am just giving examples.)

Will that be sufficient for you geeks to translate into your technical
language?

And if there is any way I can know the current state of support HarfBuzz
already has for Indic, I can judge where to start where you left off. Is
it possible for me to learn this from the code? Which file in
http://git.gnome.org/cgit/pango/tree/pango/opentype should I look in?

Shriramana Sharma.