[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz version

Chris Scaife scaife.chris at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:33:42 PST 2010

Thanks for reading my posts :)

Currently all terminals have control sequences that are based on left to
right. I want to create an enhanced low level with bidirectional controls:
plot glyph and move left, plot glyph and move right, return to left margin -
return to right margin, erase to end of line left and erase to end of line
right etc.

The Unicode algorithm is probably fine from the user's perspective, but at
the display level in a terminal or terminal emulator one needs to know at
least which margin a line is anchored on and be able to index a character by
position on that line: It is not practical to scan what is recorded for each
line while reversing the Unicode algorithm as we go.

Thus I felt I cannot work with a widget like GtkTextView and other display
widgets that have integral Unicode bidi to render their display.