[HarfBuzz] Hangul shaper

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Thu Nov 18 13:51:51 PST 2010

Hi Changwoo,

As I'm developing HarfBuzz to replace the shapers in Pango I'm planning on
removing the Hangul shaping functionality that is in Pango, and rely on a
generic shaper that can handle Hangul Jamo composition/decomposition
automatically.  Compared to what's in Pango right now, this will remove the
fallback to using Hangul Compatibility Jamo area.  Can you confirm that the
use of the compatibility Jamo area is obsolete and not needed with Hangul
fonts in wide circulation these days?

If it *is* needed still, can you offer any help?  I have a plan for
implementing such fallback shapers but appreciate a helping hand.

Cheers,
behdad

PS.  Are you subscribed to the HarfBuzz list?