[HarfBuzz] A couple of clarifications regarding HarfBuzz

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Oct 20 09:12:47 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 06:01:40PM +0200, Tom Hacohen wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-10-20 at 17:50 +0200, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > Each OpenType lookup is associated with script(s) and language(s) where
> > it should be active.
> Oh, right, didn't think about those Latin users, my bad. What's the best
> way to detect languages? Just use locale? or is there a better way?

It depends on your usage, it can be set by user or guessed from the
locale I think. There are language detection tools but I'm not sure if
any one used it to control rendering (or whether it is appropriate or
not), and it is likely to fail for very short strings.

> > There is the ligature caret in GDEF table (I don't know how HB presents
> > such data), but most fonts don't have such carets set so you may want to
> > divide the ligature into equal parts by the number of its components
> > (may be HB already does such thing?), see:
> > http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/roc/archives/2006/10/partial_ligatur.html
> I thought about splitting the coords to the number of components, but I
> don't know the mapping between harfbuzz indexes and the original ones
> (see question #6).

I don't know either.

Regards,
 Khaled