[HarfBuzz] harfbuzz-ng: Branch 'master' - 3 commits

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Aug 1 07:56:57 PDT 2011

On 08/01/11 03:56, Grigori Goronzy wrote:

> Thanks for your work Behdad! I checked out some Devanagari and Kannada
> samples and all was fine (I don't really know the scripts, but rendering
> looks exactly like Pango with old HarfBuzz).

Yeah, the basics are there now.  It's the more exotic sequences that need more
work.

> By the way, when do you think will HarfBuzz be ready to ship as a
> standalone library in distributions? I'm working on the subtitle
> rendering library libass and extended it to use HarfBuzz-ng for shaping
> (this is a GSoC project). I definitely want to avoid including a HB copy
> in my repository.

Soon :).  I'll make a 0.8 release today, and currently I don't expect any API
changes between now and 1.0.  And Fedora already has ng packaged.

> At the moment the API and its semantics still seem to be rather
> unstable, is this going to change any soon?

It's not really.  Since the 0.6 release there was only one incompatible API
change.  The semantics have not been changing much recently either.  Most of
the API also have unit tests in the test suite, so they won't be changing.

behdad