[HarfBuzz] Unicode vs glyphs

Shriramana Sharma samjnaa at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 08:44:01 PDT 2011

On 14-06-2011 20:54, Eduardo Castiñeyra wrote:
> Devanagari and Thai. So if these two scripts have non-codepointed glyphs
> I will have a good reason to force the redering guys to change their
> engine.

Donno about Thai but Devanagari (and any other Indic script) definitely
has non-codepointed glyphs! See: http://www.unicode.org/faq/indic.html#17 --

Q: I cannot find on Unicode charts the "half forms" of Devanagari
letters (or any other Indic script). These characters are needed to form
words such as "patni".

A: Unicode does not encode half or subjoined letters for the scripts of
India. Like in the ISCII standard, Unicode forms all "consonant
clusters" (such as the "tn" in "patni") by inserting the character
"virama" (or "halant") between the two relevant consonant letters ...

[rest of text snipped off]

--
Shriramana Sharma