[HarfBuzz] hb-view and beyond

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Sep 20 13:46:40 PDT 2011

On 09/20/11 14:32, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> Thanks Behdad, those utilities are very helpful for font developers as
> well :)

Good to know :).

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 01:36:39PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> Note: There's still problems reading Unicode text from the command-line
>> arguments.  You can use --text-file to work around that.
>
> I just noticed that feature ranges assume byte not character count, e.g.
> to apply a feature for first 10 Arabic characters I've to pass
> [:20] not [:10], I can live with that but it wasn't obvious at first.

Right.  They are indices into the UTF-8 text.  I can provide a mode to count
characters.  I agree that it would be easier that way.  Maybe it should be the
default?  I'll also add a markup mode so you can add the features directly in
the text.  Finally, I'll add support for escaped Unicode characters ala
'\u06cc\u0641...'.

> And it arrived just in time :) I was about to try writing something like
> that to facilitate writing unit testing for my complex Arabic fonts.
> Thanks very much!

Cool.  I'm very interested in your unit tests!  Just a file of plain text with
one test per line would do.

>> There are options to disable outputing the cluster value or the positions, or
>> use glyph indices instead of glyph names.
>
> It seems that --no-positions suppresses outputting clusters as well.

Fixed.

behdad