[HarfBuzz] hb-view and beyond

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Sep 21 09:32:29 PDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 04:46:40PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 09/20/11 14:32, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> > I just noticed that feature ranges assume byte not character count, e.g.
> > to apply a feature for first 10 Arabic characters I've to pass
> > [:20] not [:10], I can live with that but it wasn't obvious at first.
>
> Right.  They are indices into the UTF-8 text.  I can provide a mode to count
> characters.  I agree that it would be easier that way.  Maybe it should be the
> default?

That would make more sense, I can't even think if use case where counting
by bytes would be preferred over characters.

> I'll also add a markup mode so you can add the features directly in
> the text.  Finally, I'll add support for escaped Unicode characters ala
> '\u06cc\u0641...'.

Nice :)

> > And it arrived just in time :) I was about to try writing something like
> > that to facilitate writing unit testing for my complex Arabic fonts.
> > Thanks very much!
>
> Cool.  I'm very interested in your unit tests!  Just a file of plain text with
> one test per line would do.

I ended up using a csv file so I can specify options to pass to hb-shape
(I want to test optional and script/language sensitive features etc.)
and a python script to parse the file, run hb-shape and compare the
results (if anyone interested, check [1])

> >> There are options to disable outputing the cluster value or the positions, or
> >> use glyph indices instead of glyph names.
> >
> > It seems that --no-positions suppresses outputting clusters as well.
>
> Fixed.

Thanks.

[1] http://amiri.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=amiri/amiri;a=commitdiff;h=2c56128948f7180e8714c533193b0cda70483266

Regards,