[HarfBuzz] harfbuzz 1.0

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Aug 6 16:13:59 PDT 2012

[+harfbuzz list]

Hi Matthias,

Hope you enjoyed GUADEC.  I sure missed the atmosphere, judging by PGO posts.

Sure, lets do it.  As of now, harfbuzz is in par os better than Pango in all
aspects that I know.

So, what I will do (some of it during my flight back home today):

  - Update pango's harfbuzz-ng branch to lastest harfbuzz,

  - Merge the branch into master, and remove the Xlib backend in the process
perhaps,

  - Go through the public API quickly one last time and remove some API's I'm
not fully comfortable with just yet.  BTW, given the new developments in
glib-land, is there an idiom for marking unstable APIs?

  - Figure out the linking situation.  My current thinking is that having the
harfbuzz shipped in distros link to glib and freetype should be fine,

  - Reminds me that hb-ft API is not really finished yet.  Need to rethink it
and resolve it,

  - Put a small build system together and disable all backends by default
(except for ot!),

  - Ignore gobject-introspection for the 1.0 release,

  - Put gtk-doc stubs in and start populating docs.

Anything else?  I'll keep this list to track release progress.

Cheers,
behdad