[HarfBuzz] ZWJ/ZWNJ and harfbuzz

Harshula harshula at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 06:22:49 PST 2012

Hi Jiang,

On Tue, 2012-01-24 at 13:53 +0100, Jjgod Jiang wrote:

> OK, I have tried your test case [1] on Safari/Mac, Firefox/X11 and Qt/X11,
> but the last result you gave with your patch applied [2] looks strange to
> me.

It would look strange if you are unfamiliar with the script. So, for the
first 4 out of 5 lines you got the same results as the correct image?

> Here are the results I got:
>
> With Safari/Mac: http://d.pr/J0XO
> With Firefox/X11: http://d.pr/loZc
> With Qt/X11: http://d.pr/wQto (with same the LKLUG font)
>
> They all seemed consistent.

All three of your results are incorrect output. I'm curious why you
chose not to use the LKLUG QA font for Firefox/X11? Which font did you
use?

> I wonder why in your result U+0DCA is silently
> ignore as if it doesn't exist at all.

Sinhala consonant clusters formed with CON ZWJ VIRAMA CON are also known
as touching letters. Visually the two consonants are touching and the
Virama is suppressed.

May I ask why you're interested? Are you working on
chromium/webkit/harfbuzz or are you learning about Indic scripts?

cya,
#