[HarfBuzz] Tai Tham Shaping Question #2 : MEDIAL RA

Theppitak Karoonboonyanan thep at linux.thai.net
Thu Nov 15 18:50:52 PST 2012

Hi, Ed,

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Ed Trager <ed.trager at gmail.com> wrote:

> By "other engines" do you mean "Graphite"?

Actually, I meant Uniscribe.

As you may have seen, I've started creating awareness for the migration
to Unicode from existing short-circuit implementations in which Latin
glyphs are overridden based on arbitrary keyboard layouts.

To do this, I've provided some sample materials on my website [1],
posted some short text on G+ with font download link, targeting
general users (in my circle).

  [1] http://linux.thai.net/~thep/esaan-scripts/

> Once I get the glyph work and the (OpenType-based-) tone and vowel mark GPOS
> positioning work completed in the Hariphunchai font, then I'll be ready to
> work on the Graphite rule set.  Hopefully Martin Hosken will be available to
> help introduce the Graphite tools and tricks to get that done correctly.
>
> The Graphite rule set for Hariphunchai should also work for Khottabun.  When
> the time is ripe, hopefully you and I will be able to coordinate on this to
> make sure we "kill two birds with one stone."

Thanks! I've got some GDL documentation from Martin for some time, but
still haven't read it. Currently, I'm focusing on input method design for the
Lanxang project [2], as the font has been ready at some degree.
I'll get back to refine Khottabun font afterward, and certainly can benefit
from your work!

  [2] http://thep.github.com/lanxang/

> For Hariphunchai, the plan is to complete the Graphite rules first.  The
> reason for this is straightforward:  There is only one version of Graphite
> and thus we can avoid the issues of different implementations and versions
> that plague OpenType.
>
> Once the Graphite reference implementation is completed and well-tested in
> Hariphunchai, then it will make sense to follow up with the OpenType
> implementation.

OK. I'm just taking an opposite approach, to tease people first.

PS. I've Cc: Hariphunchai list. Let's continue our detailed talk there,
to avoid spamming Harfbuzz people.

Regards,
-Thep.
--