[HarfBuzz] HarfBuzz-JS?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Sep 3 17:15:46 PDT 2012

On 09/03/2012 08:44 AM, Lóránt Pintér wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> The company I work for is developing a multi-platform tool that needs proper
> layout of text for all kinds of scripts and languages. Using HarfBuzz looks
> really promising, but we need to have a solution that works across platforms,
> including browsers and stuff. Do you know of a solution similar to HarfBuzz
> that can do OpenType text layouting that can be used from, say, JavaScript?
>
> If there is no such solution, we would be willing to port as much of HarfBuzz
> as feasible to JS, and maintain the port further on as an open-source project.
> Would you be interested in helping us create such a port?

I've been planning to experiment with this myself, but will be happy to see
others do instead.  I also think using emscripten makes most sense right now.
 FreeType compiles through emscripten easily.  Before, we didn't have a
light-weight Unicode-callbacks implementation, but now there is the ucdn [1].
 So, it's a matter of putting the three pieces together and wiring it up to
HTML5 canvas.  Definitely possible.

behdad

[1] https://github.com/grigorig/ucdn