[HarfBuzz] Harfbuzz Sinhala (si) script support status update

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Sep 7 10:59:56 PDT 2012

On 09/07/2012 01:12 AM, Harshula wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-09-03 at 20:27 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
>> On 09/03/2012 03:11 AM, Harshula wrote:
>
>>> 3) Taking (2) into account, it may be possible for existing GNU/Linux
>>> fonts to support both the new and old shaper. However, I would have to
>>> defer that to someone who knows their way around fonts better.
>>
>> When you find someone who wants to fix the font, let me know and I can tell
>> them exactly what to do.
>
> Can you please tell Steve (CC'd. Freefont maintainer) and me. We need to
> make the changes *before* Harfbuzz starts getting used.

Simple:

For split matras that have Unicode decompositions like this:

<U+0DDC> = <U+0DD9><U+0DCF>

While you add the U+0DD9 and U+0DCF glyphs to the font, also alias U+0DDC to
the same glyph as U+0DCF.  Ie, for split matras, make the glyph for the
character code itself render the entirety of matra sans the left part.

This should work with all known shapers then.