[HarfBuzz] Hangul Shaper (was Re: an issue regarding discrepancy between Korean and Unicode standards

Dohyun Kim nomosnomos at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 18:28:20 PDT 2013

2013/4/13 Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>:
> On 13-04-12 01:03 PM, Dohyun Kim wrote:
>> In short, Uniscribe in Windows 8 is completely following
>> KS X 1026-1 only and no more.
>
> Really?  That's a bit odd since Windows typically doesn't break backwards
> compatibility of such stuff.
>
> Can you roughly describe, in no more than 5 lines, what it does?

As the file size of usp10.dll is very small, some other library might
be doing the real job.  Anyway, new version of Uniscribe sets up
boundaries
  * between Hangul syllable letter (including LV type) and any trailing Jamo.
  * between elemental Jamos of a composite Jamo newly added by Unicode 5.2.

The latter is acceptable and I have no complaint.  The first, however,
must be undesirable in open-source world, where various libraries and
applications are exchanging texts and informations between them
without any control tower.

--
Dohyun Kim
College of Law, Dongguk University