[HarfBuzz] Hangul Shaper (was Re: an issue regarding discrepancy between Korean and Unicode standards

Dohyun Kim nomosnomos at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 17:52:52 PDT 2013

2013/4/13 Dohyun Kim <nomosnomos at gmail.com>:
> 2013/4/13 Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org>:
>> On 13-04-12 01:03 PM, Dohyun Kim wrote:
>>> In short, Uniscribe in Windows 8 is completely following
>>> KS X 1026-1 only and no more.
>>
>> Really?  That's a bit odd since Windows typically doesn't break backwards
>> compatibility of such stuff.
>>
>> Can you roughly describe, in no more than 5 lines, what it does?
>>

> As the file size of usp10.dll is very small, some other library might
> be doing the real job.  Anyway, new version of Uniscribe sets up
> boundaries
>   * between Hangul syllable letter (including LV type) and any trailing Jamo.
>   * between elemental Jamos of a composite Jamo newly added by Unicode 5.2.

One more thing.  It is noticeable that Uniscribe reorders Hangul tone
marks from the last to the first position of a syllable block.  For
instance, when input sequence is <U+1100 U+1161 U+11F0 U+302E>, we get
<U+302E U+1100.s U+1161.s U+11F0.s>.

The behavior of new Uniscribe is quote confusing and seems to be
inconsistant on some points.  I cannot describe concisely what it
does.  But it is evident that it renders correctly only those input
sequence which is compliant to KS X 1026-1.

--
Dohyun Kim
College of Law, Dongguk University