[HarfBuzz] Tai Tham Ligature u1A31 RANA u1A2C NYA not formed in FFX v. 21

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Mon Apr 29 15:08:31 PDT 2013

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:08:57 -0400
Ed Trager <ed.trager at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I run hb-view version 0.9.16 against my Tai Tham font,
> the ligature u1A31 RANA + u1A2C NYA is formed correctly (as shown in
> the first attachment, out5.png).

From the point of view of natural language, I beg to differ.  The
ligature you are expecting is <NYA, SAKOT, NYA>. The name of the first
element is given as หัวญะ (MFL) and is given in another of my sources
as an example of the 5th consonant (i.e. the nasal consonant) of a varga
(วรรค) combining with other consonants in the same varga.  FWIW, my
sources consistently transliterate it as ญญ or ญฺญ (implying ññ in
Latin script transliteration for Pali), depending on whether the word is
functioning in Northern Thai or in Pali.

I don't expect to be able to find an example of <RANA, SAKOT, NYA>;
such would be contrary to the grammar of Pali.

Richard.