[HarfBuzz] OpenType features in ScriptShape/PlaceOpenType

Andrew Glass (WINDOWS) Andrew.Glass at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 9 09:09:21 PDT 2013

Hi Behdad,

The required features are marked in the published specifications where applicable. For example:

Feature

Feature function

Layout operation

Required

Language based forms:

ccmp

Character composition/decomposition substitution

GSUB

Typographical forms:

liga

Standard ligature substitution

GSUB

clig

Contextual ligature substitution

GSUB

Positioning features:

kern

Pair kerning

GPOS

mark

Mark to base positioning

GPOS

mkmk

Mark to mark positioning

GPOS

During Win 8, we added <dist> to the list of required features. Your question has made me realize that I need to update this document.

Note that not all of our engines currently accept custom feature lists. I’m currently working on updating our documentation in this area, and will make sure that specification of all of the required features is up to date.

Cheers,

Andrew