[HarfBuzz] OpenType features in ScriptShape/PlaceOpenType

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Aug 9 09:16:55 PDT 2013

On 13-08-09 12:09 PM, Andrew Glass (WINDOWS) wrote:
> Hi Behdad,
>
> The required features are marked in the published specifications where
> applicable. For example:

I know the specs.  But unfortunately they are far from what's actually
implemented in Windows.

For example, in the table you quote:

  * <ccmp> is NOT marked required, but my testing shows that it is NOT turned
off when I set features,

  * <calt> is NOT listed at all, but my testing shows that it is applied by
default, but not required,

  * <locl> is NOT listed either, but testing shows that it's a required feature,

> During Win 8, we added <dist> to the list of required features. Your question
> has made me realize that I need to update this document.

Interesting.  So, is <dist> a required version of <kern> then?

> Note that not all of our engines currently accept custom feature lists. I’m
> currently working on updating our documentation in this area, and will make
> sure that specification of all of the required features is up to date.

That's great to know.  If you are serious about fixing issues in the spec I'll
send a list your way!

Cheers,
behdad