[HarfBuzz] Language-specific forms in Scheherazade [was: Fwd: Re: Questions regarding hb_language_t]

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 16 04:00:15 PST 2013

Hi Bob & Lorna,

I'm hearing reports that the language-sensitive forms (such as the
Sindhi and Urdu variants of Eastern Arabic-indic digits, and variants of
Meem and Heh; maybe one or two others, I forget exactly) that we had in
Scheherazade are not working as expected in the 2.0 font.

Looking briefly at the GSUB lookups, I don't see the language-specific
lookups I'd expect. In the 1.x font, it looks like we handled this
within the 'calt' feature (which is a little odd - I'd have expected it
in 'locl' - but perhaps we had a good reason for it at the time, I
forget). But in the newer font this functionality seems to be missing.

The attached testcase (assumes both old and new fonts are present in the
same directory) shows an example of the failure when viewed in Firefox
(with either OpenType or Graphite rendering), although it's also been
observed in HarfBuzz separately from Firefox.

JK