[HarfBuzz] Corner case wrt to repeating Malayalam vowel sign OO

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Feb 27 18:02:31 PST 2013

On 13-02-27 08:09 PM, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On 13-02-27 05:41 PM, Cibu Johny (സിബു) wrote:
>>
>> When
>> ​MALAYALAM ​
>> VOWEL SIGN OO is repeated after a consonant, third one is displayed separately
>> with a dotted circle. It should have behaved like the second OO sign. Sample
>> text: കോോോ
>>
>> ​If there is a imposed upper limit for the count of repeating vowel signs,
>> something close to 10 would be useful.​
>
> Right...  We used to have no limit, but to be closer to Uniscribe we limited
> consonants to about 5 per syllable, and matras to 4.  Now, split matras count
> two each.
>
> I'll go ahead and lift the limit again.

I have a patch for that now.  It actually shrinks the Indic machine
considerably (from ~16kb to ~5kb).  So I definitely like it.  However, the
failure numbers go way up.

We need to seriously do something about tracking expected output so we can
stop relying on Uniscribe output and improve the expected results as we go.

I'm working towards that, slowly...