[HarfBuzz] Corner case wrt to repeating Malayalam vowel sign OO

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 28 01:16:18 PST 2013

On 28/2/13 01:09, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
 > On 13-02-27 05:41 PM, Cibu Johny (സിബു) wrote:
 >>
 >> When
 >> ​MALAYALAM ​
 >> VOWEL SIGN OO is repeated after a consonant, third one is displayed
separately
 >> with a dotted circle. It should have behaved like the second OO
sign. Sample
 >> text: കോോോ
 >>
 >> ​If there is a imposed upper limit for the count of repeating vowel
signs,
 >> something close to 10 would be useful.​
 >
 > Right...  We used to have no limit, but to be closer to Uniscribe we
limited
 > consonants to about 5 per syllable, and matras to 4.  Now, split
matras count
 > two each.
 >
 > I'll go ahead and lift the limit again.

I wonder whether it really makes sense to allow multiple matras in -all-
positions. I believe I've seen Devanagari examples similar to Cibu's
Malayalam comic, where a right-matra is repeated to suggest a loooooong
sound. But left-reordering matras? Split matras? Above- or below-matras?
The idea of repeating these indefinitely when writing seems much less
plausible.

Cibu, the example you showed looks like it does not actually repeat a
split-vowel matra; rather, it appends a repeated U+0D57 "Malayalam AU
length mark". Do people actually repeat the full range of matras in
their entirety, and if so how are repeated matras written on all the
various sides of the base? Or is this practice restricted to "trailing"
(right-attached) signs that can reasonably be appended to the cluster
without affecting the rest of the glyphs?

JK