[HarfBuzz] question about indic matra group rule

datao zhang dataozhang at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 16 21:06:43 PDT 2013

Dear behdad:

I feel confuse for the syllable rule in  hb-ot-shape-complex-indic-machine.rl:
halant_or_matra_group = (final_halant_group | (h.ZWJ)? matra_group{0,4});

I can't image there any case for indic script which 4 matra followed. I can understand you decompose some matra before syllable analysis, ex: Sinhala (0xDDC, after decompose, two matra generated). So you specify more than one matra. But I don't know why it is 4, not 2.

Another issue is caused that you decompose matra before syllable analysis and allow more than one matra followed. ex: if we have two matras: (0xDD9,0xDD9). They will be treated as one syllable. I don't know what benefit we can get from such rule. At least it obeys those MS Specific for Indic script.

Any comments is appreciated?

Thanks!

Br,
Dean