[HarfBuzz] Using hb_font_get_glyph_h_kerning

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Fri Jun 28 11:06:49 PDT 2013

On 13-06-28 11:23 AM, Johan Mattsson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org
> <mailto:behdad at behdad.org>> wrote:
>
>     If the font uses GPOS positioning instead of old TrueType kern table, you will
>     only get zeros from get_glyph_h_kerning.
>

> Thank you for the clarification! I thought it would find out what the GPOS
> kerning is for a pair of glyphs is.
>
> Should I try harder or is Harfbuzz not made for a use case where the program
> needs to extract values rather than rendering?

Perhaps tell us what exactly you are trying to achieve?  HarfBuzz allows some
introspection, but that's not the main goal of the library and as such we only
add introspection API when there's a reasonable usecase for it.  Khaled Hosny
has asked for something similar to what you want, and that's on my radar.
That said, GPOS is more complex than pair adjustments.