[HarfBuzz] Fwd: 'rakar' for cluster സ്പ്ര is not reordered when there is full base conjunct

Rajeesh K Nambiar rajeeshknambiar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 12:56:30 PST 2013

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org> wrote:

> Right.  Was there in fact a 'mlym' spec ever?  IIRC Malayalam was added
> when
> the new specs were designed.

I *think*, and correct me if I'm wrong, the pre-win7 spec was 'mlym' and
the win-7 spec introduced 'mlm2'. I can't seem to find the supporting
documentation in microsoft opentype site though.

> At any rate, you need to add a 'pref' table to the font that matches the
> sequence 'Ra,Halant' (for 'mlym') or 'Halant,Ra' (for 'mlm2').  You add
> that
> and the font works.  We are not going to work around this.

The problem is, there is already a 'pstf' table for 'Ra, Halant' (for mlym)
defined in Rachana and Meera, which is present for years and I know not why
(I thought only 'Halant+Ra' should make the 'Ra sign'). We tried adding
'pref' table also for the same sequence during the Pune language summit,
but then found that the 'Ra' rendering goes haywire with complex conjuncts
and to fix that a lot of combinations to be added in the font. :-/

--
Cheers,
Rajeesh