[HarfBuzz] Fwd: 'rakar' for cluster സ്പ്ര is not reordered when there is full base conjunct

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Wed Mar 6 11:58:35 PST 2013

On 13-03-06 11:20 AM, Rajeesh K Nambiar wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad at behdad.org
> <mailto:behdad at behdad.org>> wrote:
>
>     This seems to be a font issue with Rachana.  I get the exact same rendering
>     with Uniscribe and HarfBuzz (master, not 0.9.13).  That said, I'll debug it
>     tomorrow to see why the reordering is not happening.
>
> It happens with Meera also (I think in general with fonts designed for mlym
> specification). We had discussed it on irc some time ago, and the issue was
> that "pref Ra" is missing in the font, which in fact is part of mlm2
> specification.

Right.  Was there in fact a 'mlym' spec ever?  IIRC Malayalam was added when
the new specs were designed.

At any rate, you need to add a 'pref' table to the font that matches the
sequence 'Ra,Halant' (for 'mlym') or 'Halant,Ra' (for 'mlm2').  You add that
and the font works.  We are not going to work around this.