[HarfBuzz] Tai Tham NGA, SAKOT is not Kinzi

Richard Wordingham richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com
Thu May 2 13:10:24 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2 May 2013 23:04:50 +0700
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep at linux.thai.net> wrote:

> On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Richard Wordingham
> <richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 May 2013 15:50:54 +0700
>> Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep at linux.thai.net> wrote:

>>> So, the question is for Lanna. Do such spellings exist, and how are
>>> they handled? If they exist, yes, the rendering engine 'must'
>>> handle it.

>> The problem with handling the differences when reordering is that
>> Lao Tham reorders <MAI KANG LAI, HIGH KA, MEDIAL RA>, but the MFL
>> style does not.  This gives us at least three different reordering
>> behaviours.

> Three? Shift, no shift, and what else?

Shift unless.  The conditions for no shift in the MFL are either of:

1) MEDIAL RA on the second consonant
2) Mark above on the second consonant (at least, SIGN I and SIGN II
will inhibit)

It's not impossible that this behaviour arises from the limitations of
the font used for the dictionary.

Richard.