[HarfBuzz] Tai Tham NGA, SAKOT is not Kinzi

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Thu May 2 13:49:37 PDT 2013

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM, Richard Wordingham <
richard.wordingham at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2 May 2013 23:04:50 +0700
> Theppitak Karoonboonyanan <thep at linux.thai.net> wrote:
>

> Shift unless.  The conditions for no shift in the MFL are either of:
>
> 1) MEDIAL RA on the second consonant
> 2) Mark above on the second consonant (at least, SIGN I and SIGN II
> will inhibit)
>
> It's not impossible that this behaviour arises from the limitations of
> the font used for the dictionary.

There's the rub, isn't it?

I haven't looked at the แม่ฟ้าหลวง dictionary recently, but from what I
recall, I was suspicious that the font, which I've seen used in a number of
books about Tai Tham, had a number of limitations.

In the case of Tai Tham, which has a strong manuscript tradition but not a
long tradition of printed books, at least for regions like Northern
Thailand, perhaps manuscripts provide stronger evidence (than do typeset
books) for what "proper" or "conventional" Tai Tham orthography is supposed
to look like?

- Ed

 Richard.