[HarfBuzz] Mai Kang Lai in Tai Tham, summary draft

Andrew Cunningham lang.support at gmail.com
Tue May 21 18:23:14 PDT 2013

I need to think about it and see how variation in positioning has been
handled in other contexts, i.e. MYANMAR SIGN DOT BELOW in its positioning
in Karen languages vs Burmese and Mon.

Although I think the Tai Tham discussion and the way the fonts are evolving
has already taken us to the stage where the fonts will be designed for
Barfbuzz and will not render correctly on Uniscribe.

Regarding the choice between solution one and solution two; are there
examples of the positioning being contrastive, i.e. the same document using
two or three of the differening conventions to mark distinctions between
works? Or is it purely stylistic i.e. differing calligraphic and
typographic conventions?

If the difference is purely stylistic .. that leads us to solution 2.

For solution 2 there seems to be two options:

1) fonts tailored for a specific typographic/stylistic convention; or

2) more typographically advanced fonts using graphite or opentype features
to accommodate the variations, would it be possible to handle it as a
variant glyph or stylistic set?

I hope with a bit of spare time next week I can sit down and try
experimenting with a minimal font, and see what could be done.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cunningham
Project Manager, Research and Development

Ph: +61-3-8664-7430
Mobile: 0459 806 589
Email: acunningham at slv.vic.gov.au
          lang.support at gmail.com