[HarfBuzz] problem with hb_ot_layout_lookup_would_substitute

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Tue Jan 7 06:51:18 PST 2014

On 14-01-07 09:16 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> So my question is: what type of documentation do people in the list
>> want to see the most?  In-line function docs in the comments that
>> populate the gtk-docs?
>
> Each function needs a description, together with an explanation of all
> parameters, return values, etc., etc. – just think of having a
> HarfBuzz manpage.
>
>> Or external documentation that explains how to use Harfbuzz?
>
> This is certainly useful, too.  But I consider the `manpage'
> documentation quest more important since there are already showcases
> that demonstrate HarfBuzz quite well.

Sure.  But most of the API is defined in a way that you wouldn't need any
documentation other than the header file to understand.

For example, there's just no way you need any docs to understand:

void
hb_set_del_range (hb_set_t       *set,
                  hb_codepoint_t  first,
                  hb_codepoint_t  last);

or most of the other type methods.

There are a few number of *core* HB functions that need to be documented, over
and again.  hb_shape() being the main one.  The one you were using wanting it
even more.

I'll try to reprioritize.  But there's just so much time in this life...

Cheers, and thanks everyone,