[HarfBuzz] Documentation

Behdad Esfahbod behdad at behdad.org
Mon Aug 31 02:51:45 PDT 2015

Hello Simon, everyone!

I don't think I have to explain the state of HarfBuzz documentation!
Fortunately Simon has stepped up to put a user manual together.  Yay!  Thanks
Simon!

Here's the half-finished stuff I have, someone might want to review and integrate:

- The book we started in Toronto HarfBuzz documentation hackfest (Thanks
Nathan, others!) but never finished:

  http://booki.flossmanuals.net/text-layout-with-harfbuzz/

Accompanying code:

  https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz-tutorial/blob/master/hello-harfbuzz.c

Note that the intent wasn't to leave it in flossmanuals, but to use their
editor mostly for collaboration.  Feel free to lift whatever's there.  I
haven't reviewed the sections that others wrote.   I'll just review as you (or
others!) integrate in master.

- This needs cleaning up after we figure out how to build and host the docs:

  https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/wiki

- I started this years ago, it covers things that no other documentation does
so far:

  Getting Started with HarfBuzz

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18hI56KJpvXtwWbc9QSaz9zzhJwIMnrJ-zkAaKS-W-8k/edit

- This has some stuff that might be useful.  I'll one day finish that, perhaps
after Dominik's work on HarfBuzz-driven itemization in Blink is complete:

  Text Shaping and Layout Model and Low-level API

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GslUB4u-5JaKmQo8G6yr_-E7h31bt5aHPZeEL8Cd1IA/edit

Cheers, and keep them coming!