[HarfBuzz] [Feature Request] Custom allocator support

Jamie Dale jamiedale88+harfbuzz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 14:17:53 PDT 2015

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is correct place to post/discuss feature requests...
hopefully it is.

Our project makes use of a custom memory allocator, and we like to ensure
that our third-party libraries are using this where possible, as our
allocator can offer significantly better performance, and can also allow us
better memory profiling and debugging support.

A look through the HarfBuzz source code would suggest that it doesn't
currently support custom memory allocators, and instead just directly calls
the standard malloc/free/etc functions. I was wondering if you'd ever
considered (or would consider) adding a way to override this behaviour?

In my case, I'd just need a single global override to be set before my
first call to any other HarfBuzz code... basically something like
the FT_Memory struct from FreeType:
http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-system_interface.html#FT_Memory

Thanks,
Jamie.