[HarfBuzz] HarfBuzz documentation sprint: April 27/28 in Toronto

Nathan Willis nwillis at glyphography.com
Tue Feb 10 15:38:37 PST 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm happy to announce that we are putting together a doc sprint for
HarfBuzz, to be hosted at the University of Toronto.  It will take place in
conjunction with Libre Graphics Meeting (LGM), which runs from April 29
through May 2. [site: http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2015/ ]

We will have access to the LGM meeting rooms on the Monday and Tuesday of
that week (April 27 and 28) even though LGM has not started yet.  Those
rooms *will* be available during LGM as well, there will just be other
things going on at the same time, so that time period may be more hectic.

Everyone who can be in the area is invited to participate.  The primary
goal will be to write "how to" documentation for developers who are
interested in using HarfBuzz in their code.  A secondary goal will be to
compose traditional, reference-style docs along the way.

For those of you who don't have any idea who I am or why I've suddenly
popped up like this, my name is Nate Willis.  By day I write for the
Linux/FOSS news site LWN.  By night I'm an open font developer.  I have a
deeply ulterior motive in promoting this doc sprint; I'm interested in
pushing forward the state-of-the-art with OpenType font feature support in
free-software applications, and one thing that will be a really big step
there will be attracting more projects to adopt HarfBuzz.

That said, I'm not in this alone.  Behdad is on board and will be on site
and contributing for the sprint, and I am working on getting some
knowledgeable assistance from experienced free-software documentation
writers.

HOWEVER! What we definitely will need is input and help from you, the
HarfBuzz community, who know the code and have experience using it in the
real world.  I can't emphasize enough what a difference it makes to have
experienced people help out when it comes to documentation.

So please, check your calendars, and if you can, join us in Toronto during
the last week of April / first week of May.  I promise you will get a lot
out of LGM sessions if you choose to visit any of those (and you should,
since they are completely free).  And together we can write a quality guide
for others who want to start using HarfBuzz.

Thanks,
Nate
--
nathan.p.willis