[HarfBuzz] Obtaining OpenType MATH Info

Elliot Potts elliotpotts at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 12:46:39 PST 2015

I'm planning on writing a scientific calculator application - this
involves laying out maths in a way similar to TeX (XeTeX, LaTeX, etc.)
and mathml in Mozilla Firefox.

Initially I looked towards FreeType to render the glyphs in the
Mathematical Operators unicode block - but this is not enough to provide
good looking typography because some glyphs need to be altered - e.g.
the line on a square root sign must extend over it's operands. I then
learned that I could use the MATH Advanced Typographic Tables found in
the OpenType format (section 6.3.6.2 of the spec - found here
<http://mpeg.chiariglione.org/standards/mpeg-4/open-font-format/text-isoiec-cd-14496-22-3rd-edition>)
to draw mathematical glyphs correctly. As far as I can tell, FreeType
does not support reading the MATH tables of OpenType fonts.

Is there any way that HarfBuzz can help me in laying out maths? My
expectation is no - because my understanding is that harfbuzz is for
layout (or "shaping"?) and not for loading glyphs.

If I am correct in saying HarfBuzz cannot help, then do you have any
advice in where I should look to next?

Thanks in advance,
Elliot Potts.

(PS this is the second time I've sent this in because now I'm a member
of the mailing list)