[HarfBuzz] How to use 'locl' feature of Noto Sans CJK with Harfbuzz?

Behdad Esfahbod behdad.esfahbod at gmail.com
Wed May 6 15:20:07 PDT 2015

On 15-05-06 02:30 PM, Adam Twardoch (List) wrote:
> Behdad,
>
> Can you confirm my understanding is that in HB:
>
> 1. For the script tags, one must use the ISO-style ("high level") script tags to get script-specific shaping. You once told me the trick that using OT-style ("low-level") script tags would disable the script-specific shaper but still execute the OT features blindly.
>
> 2. For the language tags, one should use high-level ISO-style language tags, while the low-level OT languagesystem tags "might" work, but it's not recommended to use them.
>
> So overall, one should use the ISO-style codes.

Correct.  The HarfBuzz API is OpenType-agnostic.  When we need to map
script/language tags from the API to OpenType, we try mapping known entries
and if that fails, we use the tag as is (after fixing upper/lower case).

Language tags are actually BCP 47.

Also, if one wants to override OpenType language system directly, they can use
a BCP 47 extension tag like "x-hbotZHT" for example.
Or, eg, "zh-x-hbotZHT".