[HarfBuzz] Loading Graphite dynamically

Martin Hosken mhosken at gmail.com
Mon May 18 05:50:03 PDT 2015

Dear All,

A number of people have asked me for a mechanism by which graphite may be dynamically loaded only when a Graphite font is used. I've struggled with the notion of this, but I think I understand it now. I hope that this can help everyone to have what they want for minimal cost.

I've submitted a pull request on github for a patch that does the above.

This patch adds dynamic loading of graphite support for graphite fonts in harfbuzz. The three way configure option is now: --with-graphite2=no means no graphite support. --with-graphite2=yes means to build and link against an existing graphite library. --with-graphite2=auto means to build independently of any graphite library but to attempt to dynamically load graphite when a graphite font is encountered.

This patch has been built and tested on linux only at the moment.

Yours,
Martin