[HarfBuzz] Loading Graphite dynamically

Behdad Esfahbod behdad.esfahbod at gmail.com
Mon May 18 17:48:54 PDT 2015

Hi Martin,

For the curious, this is the PR:

  https://github.com/behdad/harfbuzz/pull/107

This basically uses dlopen to open libgraphite2.

I need to understand better what you are trying to address with this.  "A
number of people have asked" does not quite justify it.  Why do people care?

Years ago I thought about doing this, specially since with all the
integrations (FreeType, glib, gobject, icu, graphite2, more to come later),
dynamic loading sounds very attractive.  But decided not to pursue that as it
adds unnecessary complexity.  We just removed support for dynamic modules from
Pango and I'm so glad we did...  I don't want to add those back to HarfBuzz
unless we absolutely have to.

So, what are you trying to fix?

Thanks,
behdad