[HarfBuzz] where is the documentation

Ebrahim Byagowi ebraminio at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 06:47:42 UTC 2016

I think I've mislead you, I didn't mean to use the documentation of that
library :) I think old harfbuzz had some of the things you've mentioned
like justification.

Anyways, I guess this link
<https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-i18n-list/2009-August/msg00025.html>
would be more useful as some of basic (probably you know them already) but
expected to be used more APIs are described there at least.

Another perhaps interesting way to measure usage of an API and understand
its use is to inspect other clients, specially the big ones like
Chromium/Google Chrome which should handles many edge cases. For example,
"hb_font_get_glyph_advance_for_direction" is not used once even on
Chromium once
even
<https://cs.chromium.org/search/?q=hb_font_get_glyph_advance_for_direction&sq=package:chromium&type=cs>
which roughly means it is not of a canonical API for the library and
hb_font_get_glyph is used here
<https://cs.chromium.org/chromium/src/third_party/WebKit/Source/platform/fonts/FontPlatformData.cpp?q=hb_font_get_glyph&sq=package:chromium&dr=C&l=282>
which
checks if a font has a special glyph for space so is it possible to use
caching word shaping strategy (in here, if a font contains space glyph it
means the strategy should be turned off but for the majority of fonts it is
not the case), very special strategy not used by every client of harfbuzz
and the API also doesn't seem to be essential for most of clients.