[HarfBuzz] Fwd: hindi problem

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 10:20:42 UTC 2017

On 06/12/2017 09:34, Jani Brezavšček wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm writing because I can't find a solution to my problem.. I would like
> to display the following hindi text as it is written bellow or e.g. in
> google search bar
>
> शक्ति (I put it in google translate and it looks like it means "power" in
> hindi)
>
> with the line above the characters (starting at second one) going above
> from the second character to the last one. But what I get after using
> harfbuzz is not the same... the last two characters get merged into one
> and it does not look like what I pasted
>
> I've checked it with Sanskrit2003.ttf and NotoSansDevanagari-Medium.ttf
> they both produce the same abomination
>
> Can anyone please help me understand if this is a bug in harfbuzz or if
> I am doing something wrong?

I guess you're confused by the rendering of the combination "क्त" (ka,
virama, ta). This pair of consonants ("kt") can be written either with a
half-ka followed by ta, or as a single conjunct glyph. Which is used is
a stylistic choice the font designer will have made.

Most fonts I've seen go for the single-glyph "kt" conjunct, although the
Mangal and Nirmala UI fonts from Windows choose the longer "half-ka +
ta" rendering, so if that's what you're comparing to, you may be
surprised by the conjunct in other fonts.

See
http://press-files.anu.edu.au/downloads/press/p276561/html/section67.html
(scroll down to section 7, "Some forms are completely different...", and
note the two examples of the "kt" combination).

In short: how it looks depends on the font you choose.

JK